Live to Your Highest Potential through Gay Men’s Counseling, Therapy, and Life/Business Coaching – West Hollywood, CA or by Phone/Skype
(For a map/directions to my office, click here: map/directions)
If you're like many, you're not. Because you haven't had the right therapist to help you achieve that. For over 20 years, I have helped gay men have the life they want by overcoming self-criticism and the problems that come from internalizing negative messages of shame that gay men grow up with.
Whatever the challenges and problems you're currently facing, as the most experienced, fully-licensed therapist in Los Angeles and West Hollywood specializing in therapy for gay men and gay couples, I can help.
I "walk my talk": I am a married, poz (23 years), gay man in a serodiscordant relationship. I live and work in the same community that I share with my clients. I know its culture, history, and how to win at the local "rules of the game".
Sessions are available Monday through Friday, in my office, or via phone/Skype. (Weekend sessions are available through two clinical associate staff, whom I supervise.)
Are you ready to get help to resolve what’s bothering you?
Do you find yourself…
- Managing a chronic psychiatric condition, such as Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, PTSD, OCD, or Adult ADD?
- Being lonely in your own relationship?
- Discouraged by the current state of your career?
- Frustrated at not having the job or career you want?
- Feeling "addicted" or "compulsive" about sex?
- Dealing with coming out — to yourself, your co-workers, or your family?
- Coping with the after-effects of "reparative" or "conversion" therapy, or religious oppression/homophobia?
- Wanting to learn how to earn more money, or control impulsive spending?
- Wondering about how to cope with changes at Midlife?
- Trying to be at your creative best as an actor, writer, designer, singer, composer, or other creative professional?
- Concerned that anger is out of control?
- Wanting a better sex life, as a single or person or partnered, but not sure how to get it?
- Grieving the loss of a loved one from death or a breakup?
- Overwhelmed trying to manage back taxes, student loans, credit card debt, or other finances?
- Haunted by experiences of abuse or trauma in your childhood?
- Anxious about an important decision you need to make, such as relocating?
- Struggling to cope with HIV issues (diagnosis, treatment, disclosure, stigma, or fear of transmission)?
- Coping with another medical challenge, disability, or injury?
- Managing the stress of a discrimination situation, or the legal/administrative aspects of fighting it?
- Scared that alcohol or drug use, for yourself or someone close to you, has gotten out of hand?
- Tired of interpersonal conflict with a partner, boss, roommate, co-worker, or neighbor?
Life’s challenges can sometimes leave you feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.
Therapy or coaching from a gay men’s SPECIALIST therapist can help you overcome these challenges and learn to live your best life!
Therapy (or life/business coaching) is an investment of time, money, and energy. But as a result of our working together, you can:
- Learn to forgive yourself and others, and learn to love yourself.
- Strengthen your self-esteem and reclaim your personal dignity.
- Escape from an abusive relationship and move on with your life.
- Manage your body weight and learn to eat, exercise, and take care of yourself better than ever before.
- Liberate yourself from the burdens of addictions (such as crystal meth, cocaine, heroin, opiates, and others) in yourself, or in a partner.
- Learn to explore, accept, and validate your sexuality, including fetishes, games, and fantasies.
- Overcome "sex addiction" — but in a sex-positive, empowering, and affirming way that's unlike ANY other local treatment available.
- Cope with a diagnosis of HIV, cancer, MS, or another medical challenge, get the most from treatment, and learn to use your thoughts to take control and thrive.
- Establish your unique role and contribution to the world, professionally and personally.
- Get your health, fitness, mental outlook, home, and finances organized.
- Discover new and effective strategies for solving life’s problems that you can use today, and for future challenges in your life.
- Build your self-confidence for your work, dating, and social life.
- Learn techniques for managing emotions like anger, sadness, frustration, and even learn to cope with success in the long term.
- Improve your ability to identify and evaluate your options, so that you make better decisions in all areas of your life.
- Learn how to communicate your needs assertively to get what you want, while still respecting the rights of others.
- Improve communications with everyone you interact with.
Working to improve yourself can be scary, but it also can be exciting and ultimately personally fulfilling. I use only "evidence-based" techniques that research has shown lead to positive outcomes, such as Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, Developmental Psychology, Existential Psychology, and Positive Psychology. I also offer Life/Business Coaching models, and can explain the differences when we talk.
SERVICES AVAILABLE :
(For more information, click on the headings below)
I practice what is called Gay-Affirmative Therapy. This therapy model assumes that being gay is not “the problem”, but living with additional social pressures and homophobia in our culture can make existing problems worse. Gay-Affirmative Therapy puts you, and the challenges you’re trying to resolve, in a gay-positive social context. Unlike straight therapists, I understand all the cultural and social issues that gay men face, first-hand. It’s not just my job, it’s my life. You save time by not having to explain terminology or other gay men’s cultural issues. This saves you time (and money) to get to the heart of the issues, and get relief faster. While I sometimes work with lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people, my focus is not just broadly “LGBT”. I am specifically an expert in working with gay men, almost exclusively, and this has been a focus of my clinical work, research, teaching, writing, and speaking, for over 20 years. No other therapist in Los Angeles can claim this.
I provide a unique model of gay men’s relationship counseling that can you and your partner/spouse identify, clarify, and resolve the conflicts that are keeping you from your best life together. Based on over 20 years of my helping couples resolve issues, you benefit from the examples and strategies of the couples who have solved problems like yours.
I have appointment times available Monday through Friday, day and evening, and I have two clinical associates who are available on Saturdays and Sundays if you need an appointment on the weekend.
I work in my office in West Hollywood, but if you can’t come in person, I also provide sessions (therapy or coaching) over the phone and via Skype, whether locally (LA/West Hollywood, California), nation-wide, or globally. I also provide email-based consultation. Payment is easy through credit card on file, or via PayPal.
As a 23-year survivor and person living with HIV myself, I have developed an expertise in HIV mental health issues since 1990. I served nine years as the Chair of the Los Angeles County HIV Mental Health Task Force, and was Clinical Director of two local AIDS service organizations. I have a unique approach to counseling gay men living with HIV, whether newly-diagnosed, HIV-negative but having questions/concerns, or long-term survivors.
The life of a corporate executive can have many stressors and many rewards. There can be a certain “lonely at the top” feeling, and gay male executives need a place where they can discuss issues in full confidentiality, sometimes about high-level decisions, operations, and dilemmas. I provide coaching to help you reach your full potential professionally, and balance that with a satisfying personal life as well.
Issues with alcohol and drugs can be prominent in the gay community. After over 21 years in practice, I have helped hundreds of guys come to terms with these problems, and be liberated from the burden that “too much”, for yourself or a partner/friend, can be. My unique and comprehensive approach to recovery and well-being has proven successful with them, and it can be for you, too.
One of the most frequent types of assistance I’m asked for is helping gay men take their career success to the next level. Whether you are a young man just starting out, in mid-career, or approaching (or even into) retirement, career coaching in a uniquely gay-affirmative context can help you thrive at each stage, in career evolution, satisfaction, reward, recognition, and income.
As a licensed psychotherapist in the Los Angeles area, home of the “Hollywood” entertainment industry, I often work with high-profile clients and people in the public eye. While this status can be rewarding, it can also provide unique challenges most people will not have to face, or even can’t relate to. This is especially true for openly gay or for “closeted” gay or bisexual personalities. With full confidentiality, local convenience, and a discreet location, high-profile clients are served with dignity and the relief of having a special space away from all other obligations to bring concerns and receive support, validation, and perspective on the unique challenges you face.
The challenges that creative professionals face can be unique. Counseling and coaching can help you maximize your creative development, while paying careful attention to the commercial side that’s necessary for your growth and stability. When actors resolve their personal challenges, their instrument is more attuned to embrace characters. When writers identify and explore their own values, priorities, themes, and the “voice” they want to express, they produce their best and most poignant works. When your personal self is relaxed, de-stressed, and motivated, your best creative work can emerge, leading to reward and recognition.
While I am a specialist in working with gay men, I also have been successful helping many straight men by knowing men’s psychology issues that span men of all kinds. I’ve also been successful helping straight women from the perspective of a male, helping you to grow and approach challenges from a contrasting perspective. My location in the heart of West Hollywood makes services at my office convenient for many local homes and offices.
In addition to my work as a therapist, professor, and author, I provide keynote and workshop talks for corporations, organizations, schools, and conferences. There is a large menu of topics to choose from, or a new talk can be developed for your unique event or group.
- Licensed in California as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), #LCS18290 (since 1997)
- Certified as a Psychiatric Social Worker, able to refer and connect you to MD psychiatrists (if needed) and coordinate your treatment
- Complete privacy (unlike “HMO network insurance therapists”, who must report your diagnosis and clinical progress to a corporate “care manager”)
- Graduate of major academic institutions, UCLA and USC (not a trade school)
- Expert in HIV mental health, as a professional and as a person successfully living with HIV for 23 years
- Former Chair, LA County HIV Mental Health Task Force (9 years) and former Clinical Director of two local HIV non-profit organizations
- Currently on the faculty of the graduate USC School of Social Work (teaching advanced courses in Clinical Practice)
- Session fees are determined on a sliding scale (according to income and personal circumstances)
- Cash, check, credit card, or PayPal accepted
- Insurance information here
- Available Monday through Friday, day and evening (with clinical associate staff available on Saturdays and Sundays)
- Available for therapy/coaching in West Hollywood in person or via phone/Skype, and outside California (coaching only) via phone or Skype
- Extra support available between sessions through emails, texting, or voicemails
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 310-726-HELP (4357) or email Ken@GayTherapyLA.com
Please call (310) 726-4357 to schedule your free, 15-minute phone consultation. Let me know the best times to call you back, so we can see if we will be a good match. If there are privacy concerns to consider when I call back and you don’t want to be overheard by others, please let me know how best to deal with them. You can also email me at Ken@GayTherapyLA.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Ken Howard, MSW, LCSW
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (#LCS18290)
8430 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 100 (at Croft Avenue)
West Hollywood, CA 90069
INFORMATION AND SUPPORT RESOURCES:
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, #LCS18290) and have been in practice in West Hollywood and Los Angeles for over 20 years. I have my “dream job” of helping gay men close the gap between how life is, and how you would like it to be. I love helping others grow, personally and interpersonally, to reach their full potential. To read more about my own personal story, professional background, unique qualifications, motivations and philosophies that inform, inspire, and energize my work, see the Biography page.
A number of former clients (with names altered to protect their confidentiality) and colleagues have been kind enough to provide their comments on me and my work.
My self-help book, “Self-Empowerment: Have the Life You Want!”, is based on my first 18 years as a psychotherapist. I call it “the portable therapist”; it helps you close the gap between how life is, and how you would like it to be, in important areas such as health, career, finances, relationships/sex, mental health, community, and spirituality. The e-book version (only $4.99) is also now available for Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, and iBook for iPad and iPhone at iTunes! It’s also available in hardcover and paperback: “Self-Empowerment: Have the Life You Want!”
To get your free report, “20 Tips for Gay Men to Improve Your Life – Right Now!” and to sign up for my monthly gay men’s e-newsletter, see the box on the upper-right corner of this website home page. Each month, I’ll deliver right to your email box tips on how to solve the problems you might face in your career, relationships, finances, family, social life and more. It includes practical advice regarding the issues I see in my work with clients every day in my practice. (Privacy is important to all of us; I will not sell, rent, or give your name or email address to anyone).
I record an audio podcast for a general audience, with more tips to have the life you want. It’s also available as a smartphone app, and includes all episodes at your fingertips, at your convenience. See this link: http://itunes.apple.com/cy/app/have-the-life-you-want/id388648727?mt=8
A blog on my musings on current events and gay men’s culture is available, as well as an extensive archives on a wide range of topics from my blog history and magazine articles over the years. Search on the terms you’re interested in, and there’s likely an article about it.
My video blog and YouTube channel, “ShrinkTube”, are available here.
To follow me on Facebook, click on this link here and become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/West-Hollywood-CA/Ken-Howard-LCSW-Counseling-Psychotherapy-Coaching-for-Gay-Men/97685311199?ref=ts&__a=16&ajaxpipe=1
I believe in supporting the gay community with my clinical work, education support, and walking-the-talk via community activism and advocacy.
Try visiting these other informative, gay-related sites too: