Specialist in Therapy and Life/Career Coaching for Gay Men and Gay Male Couples- 22 Years Experience
(For a map/directions to my office, click here: map/directions)
Are you struggling with a problem in your personal or professional life?
Do you want a gay male therapist who really "gets you"?
Do you find yourself…
- Feeling sad, isolated, or depressed in your relationship or career?
- Needing guidance on how to develop your career, or earn more money?
- Worried about how to handle transitions and changes at Midlife?
- Scared that your anger is ruling your life?
- Wanting a better sex life, but not sure how to get it?
- Struggling to recover from the loss of a loved one from death or a breakup?
- Overwhelmed by trying to manage your finances?
- Feeling haunted by experiences in your childhood?
- Anxious about an important decision you need to make?
- Struggling to cope with a diagnosis of HIV or another medical challenge?
- Scared that alcohol or drug use, for yourself or someone close to you, has gotten out of hand?
- Tired of conflict with your boyfriend/partner/spouse, boss, parent, or another person?
Life's challenges can sometimes leave you feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.
The one constant in life is change. Managing your life, building a career, developing satisfying relationships, and taking care of your emotional and physical health are things to strive for, to bring you a sense of meaning, purpose, and contentment to your life.
But sometimes things don't quite work out as planned, and you’re faced with having to handle the situation, sometimes feeling like you’re doing it all by yourself. You’re trying to handle a life challenge, but you’ve lost control of the problem and are feeling confused. You may have trouble falling asleep over it, or you may have difficulty getting out of bed in the morning. Maybe you feel anxious and worried about the future, and how these problems are going to work out. You could be having conflicts with people, including others you care about. Maybe you’re sad and frustrated because you just don’t like yourself very much these days.
Therapy, counseling, and coaching can help you resolve current life challenges and relationship struggles.
- When facing life challenges of many kinds, loving yourself and managing your life sometimes means reaching out for help. During hard times, a caring professional therapist and life/business coach can help you see your problems from a different point of view, help you see things in a different light, gain new insights, and teach you new strategies for coping with your challenges that will guide you to faster resolutions.
“Ken is a consummate professional, combining the best in common sense, practical business coaching, and a solid grounding in evidence-based psychotherapy. There are few of his ilk. I have become a better and more secure manager of my own life with his help. I recommend him to friends, particularly gay professionals who seek improved personal and interpersonal skills and business acumen. Ken wears both hats with considerable skill and warmth.” — K.E., gay male corporate CEO
“Ken is bright and motivated, and a real professional. He has built a great reputation and practice through community involvement and smart marketing, but most of all through the high quality of service that he provides.” –S.R., gay male business consultant
“I have worked with Ken for many years and find his work to be the utmost in professionalism and compassion. His work within the Los Angeles community, especially that of the LGBT community, is the hallmark of dedication. While working with Ken on many community panels, including the Los Angeles County HIV Mental Health Task Force, he has always provided a intelligence, empathy, and commitment to colleagues and clients alike. I would highly recommend him as a therapist, or in any professional endeavors.” – JL, gay male therapist
I have over twenty years of experience in counseling, psychotherapy, and life/business coaching, and I am trained in a variety of therapeutic approaches that can help you overcome your problems. These include Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, to help you identify new thoughts and behaviors; Existential Psychology, to help you identify joy and meaning for now and your future; and Developmental Psychology, to understand your current situation in the context of a healthy and satisfying life span. All of my techniques are considered “evidence-based”, which means they have been studied in research and are known to produce positive outcomes.
I am also on the faculty of the USC School of Social Work, where I teach advanced courses in clinical practice in the graduate MSW (Master of Social Work) program, with the latest research and techniques for helping people solve problems today.
As a result of we work together in therapy you can:
- Learn to forgive yourself and others, and learn to love yourself again.
- Strengthen your self-esteem and reclaim your personal dignity.
- Liberate yourself from the burden of addictions and bad habits.
- Cope with a diagnosis of HIV or another medical challenge, and learn to thrive.
- Establish your unique roles, professionally and personally.
- Discover new strategies for coping with life’s challenges that you can use today for current problems, and for all future challenges in your life.
- Build your self-confidence to take the steps you need to take your life to a higher level of peace and fulfillment.
- Learn techniques for managing emotions like anger, sadness, frustration, and even learn to cope with success in the long term.
- Improve your ability to identify and evaluate your options, so that you make better decisions in all areas of your life.
- Learn how to communicate your needs assertively to get what you want, while still respecting the rights of others.
- Improve communications with everyone you come in contact with, to improve relationships with a partner/spouse, roommate, co-worker, family member, or friends.
Working to improve yourself can be scary, but also exciting and ultimately profoundly personally fulfilling.
“Ken is a true asset to any dynamic in which he participates. When working with Ken, I find it to be a positive collaboration with an exchange of substantive ideas. He is very perceptive and has a gift for articulating nuances and finding ways to guide you in a nurturing and intelligent way.” – CL, certified financial planner
“I've worked with Ken Howard, LCSW, in the HIV community in Los Angeles. He's one of the most astute therapists I know here in L.A. in regards to the lives of gay men and people with HIV.” – TV, gay community activist and author
“Ken has participated as a panelist at a number of City of West Hollywood events including a community forum addressing issues around Crystal Methamphetamine at the annual Gay Men's Forum. The City has been fortunate to have Ken take part at these events, as he brings a great amount of expertise to the table as a therapist and coach. He is a pleasure to work with, is always very professional and is highly respected in the community.” – CR, City of West Hollywood
Therapy, counseling, and coaching have helped me over the years, and I can help you.
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, #LCS18290) and have been in practice in West Hollywood and Los Angeles for over 20 years. I have my “dream job” of helping gay men close the gap between how life is, and how you would like it to be. I love helping others grow, personally and interpersonally, to reach their full potential.
I respect the investment of time, energy, and money you make to undergo therapy sessions, and I strive to give value to each and every session we work in together. You will always receive the best I can give, and the personalized service you deserve.
I am available Monday through Friday, day and evening, and I have two clinical associates who are available on Saturdays and Sundays if you need a weekend appointment. I work in my office in Los Angeles (near the Beverly Center mall), but if you can’t come in person, I also provide sessions over the phone and via Skype, both locally (LA/West Hollywood, California) and nation-wide, wherever you are.
Please call my voicemail at 310-726-4357 to schedule a no-charge, 15-minute phone consultation. Let me know the best times to call you back, so we can talk and see if we will be a good match. If there are privacy concerns to consider when I call back and you don’t want to be overheard by others, please let me know how best to deal with them. You can also email me at Ken@GayTherapyLA.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Ken Howard, MSW, LCSW
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (#LCS18290)
566 S. San Vicente Boulevard, Suite 103 (at Lindenhurst, near Beverly Center)
Los Angelers, CA 90048
ADDITIONAL NFORMATION AND SUPPORT:
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW, #LCS18290) and have been in practice in West Hollywood and Los Angeles for over 20 years. I have my “dream job” of helping gay men close the gap between how life is, and how you would like it to be. I love helping others grow, personally and interpersonally, to reach their full potential. To read more about my own personal story, professional background, unique qualifications, motivations and philosophies that inform, inspire, and energize my work, see the Biography page.
A number of former clients (with names altered to protect their confidentiality) and colleagues have been kind enough to provide their comments on me and my work.
My self-help book, “Self-Empowerment: Have the Life You Want!”, is based on my first 18 years as a psychotherapist. I call it “the portable therapist”; it helps you close the gap between how life is, and how you would like it to be, in important areas such as health, career, finances, relationships/sex, mental health, community, and spirituality. The e-book version (only $4.99) is also now available for Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, and iBook for iPad and iPhone at iTunes! It’s also available in hardcover and paperback: “Self-Empowerment: Have the Life You Want!”
To get your free report, “20 Tips for Gay Men to Improve Your Life – Right Now!” and to sign up for my monthly gay men’s e-newsletter, see the box on the upper-right corner of this website home page. Each month, I’ll deliver right to your email box tips on how to solve the problems you might face in your career, relationships, finances, family, social life and more. It includes practical advice regarding the issues I see in my work with clients every day in my practice. (Privacy is important to all of us; I will not sell, rent, or give your name or email address to anyone).
I record an audio podcast for a general audience, with more tips to have the life you want. It’s also available as a smartphone app, and includes all episodes at your fingertips, at your convenience. See this link: http://itunes.apple.com/cy/app/have-the-life-you-want/id388648727?mt=8
A blog on my musings on current events and gay men’s culture is available, as well as an extensive archives on a wide range of topics from my blog history and magazine articles over the years. Search on the terms you’re interested in, and there’s likely an article about it.
My video blog and YouTube channel, “ShrinkTube”, are available here.
To follow me on Facebook, click on this link here and become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/West-Hollywood-CA/Ken-Howard-LCSW-Counseling-Psychotherapy-Coaching-for-Gay-Men/97685311199?ref=ts&__a=16&ajaxpipe=1
Try visiting these other informative, gay-related sites too: